3.9 C
London
Sunday, December 4, 2022
HomeNewsTwitter chaos as Elon Musk bins blue tick relaunch amid mass boycott

Twitter chaos as Elon Musk bins blue tick relaunch amid mass boycott

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Elon Musk said on Monday that Twitter is holding off the relaunch of the blue tick subscription service in a delay from his initial timeline. Twitter’s new owner used the social media portal to communicate that the service would be delayed until there was “high confidence” in terms of stopping impersonation.

He said: “Holding off relaunch of Blue Verified until there is high confidence of stopping impersonation.

“Will probably use different color check for organizations than individuals.”

The blue check mark was previously reserved for the verified accounts of politicians, famous personalities, journalists and other public figures.

However, following Mr Musk ‘s $44billion takeover, a new subscription service was rolled out earlier this month for anyone prepared to pay.

It appears to be an attempt by Mr Musk to help grow revenue for the beleaguered site as the South African born billionaire attempts to retain advertisers.

Twitter had recently paused its recently announced $8 blue check subscription service after a large number of fake accounts were launched.

The social media site had previously said that the blue tick subscription service would be relaunched on Tuesday November 29.

Mr Musk also tweeted that Twitter had added 1.6 million new users in the past week, a figure the Tesla founder claimed was “another all-time high”.

READ MORE: Putin ‘wants a break’ as Russian supplies into Donbass cut off

Drugmaker Pfizer, United Airlines, Volkswagen AG and General Motors Co were other big firms that announced they were suspending advertising.

Hundreds of Twitter employees are believed to have quit last week after Mr Musk sent an email to employees demanding they sign up to work “long hours at high intensity”.

The Space X owner has fired around half the workforce, including the top management .

A poll on the workplace app Blind, showed that 42 percent of 180 respondents had responded to Mr Musk’s e-mail by clicking “Taking exit option, I’m free!”

A quarter revealed they had chosen to stay “reluctantly,” with only 7 percent said they “clicked yes to stay, I’m hardcore.”



Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here