Moment New Jersey dad is arrested in Brazil 'after he fled US on being charged with sexually abusing cousin's daughters aged 8 and 12'
Moment New Jersey dad is arrested in Brazil ‘after he fled US on being charged with sexually abusing cousin’s daughters aged 8 and 12’
- Julio César Cuel was arrested by the Federal Police in Espírito Santo, Brazil, last Friday
- The 44-year-old fled from New Jersey after he had been accused of sexually abusing his cousin’s daughters, ages 8 and 12
- On June 2, the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office charged him with seven counts, including two counts of the aggravated sexual assault
- Brazil’s constitution doesn’t allow Cuel, a Brazilian national, to be extradited to the United States
- A Federal Police spokesman said authorities are waiting to receive his case file in order to proceed with charges and try him under Brazil’s justice system
Dramatic images captured the moment a suspected pedophile was arrested in Brazil after fleeing New Jersey following claims he’d sexually abused his cousin’s underage daughters.
Júlio César Cuel, 44, was arrested in the Espírito Santo city of Cariacica last Friday. Photographs captured at the scene showed him being led to a police SUV in handcuffs.
Cuel was charged by the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office on June 2 with two counts of the aggravated sexual assault of the girls, aged eight and 12. He was also charged with three counts of sexual assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
The alleged incidents took place between May 2019 and May 2021, and were exposed after one of the victims recorded details of what she says happened to her.
A spokesperson with the Espírito Santo Federal Police told DailyMail.com on Tuesday that authorities are still waiting to get all of the evidence gathered by their counterparts in New Jersey to proceed with charges and try him under Brazil’s justice system.
The South American country does not have an extradition treaty with the United States, meaning Cuel will be tried there if officials can collect sufficient evidence against him.
Júlio César Cuel, 44, was arrested in the Espírito Santo, Brazil, last Friday. A married father-of-one, Cuel was charged on June 2 by the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office of sexually abusing his cousin’s two daughter, aged eight and 12, between May 2019 and May 2021. He fled New Jersey and crossed into Mexico, where he boarded a flight to Brazil
Brazil Federal Police agents in Cariacica, Espírito Santo took Julio César Cuel (pictured shirtless) into custody last Friday. A spokesperson with the Espírito Santo Federal Police told DailyMail.com on Tuesday that the 44-year-old will be tried in Brazil because the constitution prohibits Brazilian nationals being extradited to the United States
According to Brazilian news outlet Jornal de Brasília, Cuel is also being investigated for possessing pornographic content of minors that was stores and distributed via the internet. Authorities were able to seize several items from his home.
One of the children recorded an audio recalling one of the times she was molested by Cuel and sent it to her friend, who showed it to her mother. The woman then alerted the victim’s parents, who reached out to the police.
Cuel, who is married with a seven-year-old daughter, promptly fled his cousin’s home where he had been living for three years and then crossed into Mexico.
In a June interview with Brazilian digital outlet G News USA, Cuel said the allegations were untrue.
‘The police tested the girls and the test itself was negative for molestation. They took exams,’ he said. ‘From what I was told, it was negative. And that is 100 percent correct. I have never molested any children.’
Brazilian Federal Police officers in Cariacica, Espírito Santo, surround the home of Júlio César Cuel, a 44-year-old who fled from New Jersey in June after he was charged by the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office for sexually assaulting his cousin’s daughters, aged 8 and 12
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement contacted authorities in Brazil who were able to track him down to his new residence located behind a family member’s home in Cariacica where he was living with his wife and daughter.
His extradition to the United States is blocked by Brazil’s constitution, which prohibits him being handed over because he is a Brazilian national.
‘He knew that he was already wanted by the American authorities, so he fled across the border with Mexico, because he knew that in an American airport he would be arrested and would certainly spend his whole life behind bars,’ Espírito Santo Federal Police chief Eugênio Ricas said, according to G1.
‘He fled by land through Mexico. In Mexico he took it a plane and came to Brazil, but the American authorities shared this information with the Federal Police and the result is that in a very fast time he is already behind bars and will probably spend a lot of his life behind bars.’