An intelligent A-Level student took his own life after worrying about symptoms he had been experiencing since suffering a concussion during a rugby match, an inquest heard.
Cameron Milton’s mother Jo found the 18-year-old dead in his bedroom when she tried to wake him for college. Toxicology tests revealed Cameron had died from poisoning and the teen’s parents discovered plant material in his room.
Kate Bisset, assistant coroner in Lancashire and Blackburn with Darwen, recorded a conclusion of suicide at Cameron’s inquest yesterday.
She said: “Cameron was obviously a very much-loved son, brother, grandson and friend and his loss is a tragedy beyond comprehension. He had a kind and caring nature, a bubbly personality and was skilled in sportsmanship.
“He was a sixth-form student with high aspirations. Cameron was happy, positive and had a bright future. He sounds like a truly wonderful young man.”
The coroner had heard Cameron, a talented young sportsman, experienced dizziness, tremors, loss of balance and heart palpitations following the concussion in August 2021.
Despite extensive tests and a number of attendances at A&E, doctors were unable to find anything wrong with Cameron and advised against a brain CT scan because of the risk of exposure to radiation at such a young age, Lancs Live reports.
His parents had planned to pay for the scan privately, but Cameron told them he didn’t want them to spend their money.
Cameron, who had aspirations of going to Loughborough University to study sports coaching and dreamed of becoming a personal trainer, missed lessons at college due to his ongoing medical symptoms.
And, on March 29 this year – seven months after the concussion – Cameron was discovered dead at home near Darwen, Lancashire.
Paramedics desperately tried to save Cameron, the youngest of three brothers, but Jo told them: “He’s gone, I know he’s gone.”
The previous night, Cameron told his mum “love you” as normal before going to bed.
Jo, who works at a school, said: “He loved being with his brothers and his mates.
“He was always up for a laugh and he wanted to become a personal trainer.
“One day in early January he came to me upset and crying. He couldn’t speak for half an hour. He said he’d had a full-body tremor. It lasted for two minutes. The next day he went to school and had more tremors. That’s when he started struggling to get to school.”
Police investigated after the youngster’s death.
The leaves, found behind Cameron’s bunk bed, are “clearly poisonous” from a simple Google search and an examination of Cameron’s phone indicated he had deleted his search history.
Cameron’s ex-girlfriend gave a statement to police, in which she referred to him having voiced intentions to kill himself. In December 2021, three months before he died, “he had lost his family dog, one of the greatest loves of his life, and he had been unable to play rugby or go to sixth form”, she said.
After the inquest, Cameron’s dad Marcus said his son “had a smile that lit up a room”.
In a tribute posted on Facebook after Cameron’s death, dad Marcus wrote: “Live every moment until your last. It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my youngest son Cameron.
“He is the light of our lives and will forever be that young cheeky kid we have known for the past 18 years. He will forever be in our hearts and will never be forgotten. We ask that we are left alone at this time to grieve .
“He may not be with us in body but he will always be here in spirit. Good night baby boy from your Mum & Dad x”
The Samaritans can be reached round the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If you need a response immediately, it’s best to call them on the phone. You can reach them by calling 116 123, by emailing [email protected] or by visiting www.samaritans.org.