Body of man recovered from English Channel by coastguard, police say

HomeU.K

Body of man recovered from English Channel by coastguard, police say

The body was spotted by another vessel and was lifted from the water this afternoon. It was then taken to Eastbourne, Sussex Police have said. The

Florida 'family friend' murdered young mother, 23, before leading police to body dumped in canal: sheriff
Chrissy Teigen reveals how her body struggled to adapt following her devastating pregnancy loss
Sick dog owner ‘hangs pet from fence and sets it on FIRE’ leaving poor animal with ‘burns all over her body’


The body was spotted by another vessel and was lifted from the water this afternoon. It was then taken to Eastbourne, Sussex Police have said. The man’s identity has not been revealed, nor his nationality.

The force said: “On Saturday afternoon, September 11, the body of a man was recovered by HM Coastguard in mid-English Channel, following information from a passing vessel, and was brought to Eastbourne.

“Enquiries are underway and no further information is available at this time.”

This discovery comes after migrant crossings hit another record high as at least 1,000 men, women and children were spotted making the dangerous journey to the UK last week.

The figure – which is based on witness sightings by Sky News – is believed to be the highest figure and surpassed the previous record of 828 on August 21.

A lifeboat full of migrants was pictured arriving in Kent after picking them up from a dinghy out at sea.

Another dinghy was also shown pulled up on the shingle with discarded lifejackets.

Officials were seen leading passengers away and one woman was holding onto a small baby.

Three large coaches had parked up on a stretch of land and were apparently ready to drive the migrants away.

Last Sunday marked the first time in two weeks a small boat crossed the Channel.

Some 158 people – including five children – made the perilous journey and arrived on Dover from four boats.

This brought the total number of people who have crossed the Channel this year to more than 12,500.

Figures this year have already surpassed last year’s annual total of 8,417.

This came as Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Home Secretary Priti Patel is “working around the clock” to ensure France stops the passage of illegal migrants across the channel.

He told the Commons today: “My honourable friend is completely right and, of course, the issue is that very sadly I think our friends across the Channel in France are faced with a very difficult problem.

“A large number of people want to come to this country, and we are doing everything we can to encourage the French to do the necessary and impede their passage.

“But I know the Home Secretary is working right around the clock to ensure that we not only encourage the French to stiffen their sinews and stop people making the journey, but we use every possible tactic available to us as well.”

Back in July, the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) hit back at claims they are providing a “taxi service” for migrants as volunteers continue to get heckled from bringing them to safety as they cross the English Channel.

Nigel Farage tweeted the RNLI in Kent has become a taxi service for “illegal immigration, to the dismay of all involved. What a state of affairs”.

However, Mark Dowie, chief executive of the RNLI, lashed back at the claims and said they were doing the “right thing” by helping those crossing the Channel.

He said: “The people of these islands (the UK) fundamentally are decent people, and all decent people will see this as humanitarian work of the highest order.

MORE TO FOLLOW…



COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 0
DISQUS: 0