Awaab Ishak paid the “ultimate price for corporate neglect by his landlord”, an activist has claimed, after it was revealed the toddler died from mould in his social housing flat. Social housing activist Kwajo Twenebao told Sky News’ Sophy Ridge that the case of young Awaab was “absolutely horrific and tragic” but went on to say that it was not rare for such social housing conditions to be in place. His comments come as housing secretary Michael Gove wrote to every English council leader and social housing provider to warn that deaths like that of Awaab must “never be allowed to happen again”.
Mr Twenebao said: “It is absolutely horrific and I have been campaigning for a year to avoid a situation just like this.
“What we have seen tragically with the case of Awaab is that he has paid the ultimate price for corporate neglect by his landlord.”
Asked if he was surprised, he said: “No, I cannot say I am. It is an absolutely tragic case but from what I have seen across the country in terms of tenants living under social housing landlords, whether that be social housing association or local authority, is often they are living in similar cases.
“In some cases, even worse conditions for decades. I spoke to one tenant who reached out to me for help after complaining for 27 years. That’s longer than I have been alive yet they were not listened to.”
MORE TO FOLLOW…