7.7 C
London
Monday, January 30, 2023
HomeWomenAmerican mum discovers her kids bath toys are filled with black mould

American mum discovers her kids bath toys are filled with black mould

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Mum shares urgent warning after a gruesome discovery in her bathroom – and she’s not alone

  • The mum discovered her kids bath toys were filled with mould
  • She threw them out and vows never to buy them again
  • Mould exposure can cause serious illness in children 

A mum-of-two has issued an urgent warning to all parents about a little-known danger in a popular kids’ toy.

The American woman, Diana, cut her kid’s rubber ducks open after noticing they seemed to have changed colour. 

She was disgusted to see they were filled with black mould.

Hundreds of other mums made the same gruesome discovery after cutting open the cute toys.

Scroll down for video

A mum-of-two has issued an urgent warning to all parents about a little-known danger in a popular kids toy

She cut her kids' rubber ducks open after noticing they seemed to have changed colour. She was disgusted to see they were filled with black mould (pictured)

A mum-of-two has issued an urgent warning to all parents about a little-known danger in a popular kids toy. She cut her kid’s rubber ducks open after noticing they seemed to have changed colour. She was disgusted to see they were filled with black mould (right)

‘My kids are going to hate me if I do this for no reason but this toy is starting to look weird, it’s not yellow anymore,’ Diana said on TikTok.

‘I feel like this b*tch has mould in it. I’m nervous.’

She started cutting the toy open and immediately saw that black mould covered the entirety of the inside.

‘I’m literally about to throw away all their f*cking rubber ducks and never buy another one again. That is so disgusting. I’m about to throw up. It’s literally filled with mould,’ she said.

How dangerous is mould in bath toys? 

Why does mould form in bath toys?

Mould forms in rubber toys and ducks because they are kept in a wet environment. Water gets inside the toy from the hole, mixes with bath soap and festers to create mould.

Is it dangerous?

* Mould is very harmful if swallowed and can cause vomiting, diarrhea or an upset stomach.

* The fungus can be particularly harmful to kids who have an allergic reaction or a compromised immune system.

* Children may be allergic if they have an unexplained rash, coughing or itchy eyes. 

How can it be prevented?

* To prevent the growth of mould, bath toys need to be throughly cleaned and dried after use.

* Toys without holes are far less likely to develop mould.

(Source: blog.cincinnatichildrens.org) 

 

The important warning quickly went viral and other mums checked the toys in their own baths.

One mum Laura Gargani was shocked to discover her one-year-old daughter’s toys were also full of mould and immediately threw them all in the bin.

The terrified mum is concerned the mould had been making her daughter sick as her daughter puts the toys in her mouth.

Laura said she has even gotten an eye infection from the infected toys.

One young woman said she remembers squeezing her bath toys as a child and black bits would go into the water, however she didn’t realise it was mould.

Several other people admitted they used to fill up the toys and drink out of them as kids and always wondered what the black specks were.

Mould is very harmful if swallowed and can cause vomiting, diarrhea or an upset stomach, particularly following prolonged exposure.

The fungus can be particularly harmful to kids who have an allergic reaction or a compromised immune system, children may be allergic if they have an unexplained rash, coughing or itchy eyes. 

One mum is concerned the mould in her bath toys had been making her daughter sick as her daughter puts the toys in her mouth. She believes she has even gotten an eye infection from the infected toys (pictured)

Mould allergies can cause a rash, coughing or itchy eyes

One mum is concerned the mould in her bath toys had been making her daughter sick as her daughter puts the toys in her mouth. She revealed she has even gotten an eye infection from the infected toys (pictured)

Mould forms in rubber toys and ducks because they are kept in a wet environment. 

Water gets inside the toy from the hole, mixes with bath soap and festers to create mould.

To prevent the growth of mould, bath toys need to be throughly cleaned and dried after use, however it can be very difficult to get all of the water out of toys with holes inside.

Australian toy company My Little Love Heart makes bath toys specifically designed to not gather mould by not having any holes.

Advertisement

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here