4.6 C
London
Sunday, December 4, 2022
HomeNews'Action not words!' Jenrick vows to use 'full force of law' to...

'Action not words!' Jenrick vows to use 'full force of law' to tackle illegal migration

Date:

Related stories

spot_imgspot_img


Robert Jenrick vowed to use the “full force of the law” to tackle illegal migration, pledging “actions not words” from the Government on this issue. He said that everyone in the Conservative party is “in agreement” about migration, adding: “We’re deeply concerned about the number of people crossing the channel.” The Immigration Minister said he and Home Secretary Suella Braverman are “working round the clock to tackle this”.

Speaking to GB News, he said: “We’re taking action on many different fronts. The Home Secretary and I are working round the clock to tackle this.

“I think the new deal with France will make a difference. I don’t want to overstate that because, as you say, we’ve had agreements in the past.”

“We are working with the Prime Minister on every front we can to tackle the issue.”

“The public wants to see action, not words, and that is exactly what we are setting out to do.”

He added: “We are working with countries which are safe, like Albania – and we’re also going to be making it harder for people to work here in the UK by tackling illegal employers.

“We need to make sure that countries employing people against the law or committing fraud really get the full force of the law bearing down on them.”

Earlier this month, Britain and France signed a £62million deal to curb the surge in Channel migrants.

Negotiations had been going on for months before an agreement was finally unveiled last week.

Details of the plan came as official figures show more than 40,000 people made the deadly crossing so far this year – up from 28,526 in 2021.

The expanded agreement includes an increase in payments from London to Paris and a much closer relationship between border policing teams.

Home Secretary Suella Braverman travelled to be in the French capital to sign the deal alongside French interior minister Gérald Darmanin.

The multimillion-pound plan represents one of the largest sums ever handed over to the French by British taxpayers.

But last week Tory MP Marco Longhi told Express.co.uk that the deal is “completely unsustainable and will not produce the results that we want”.

When asked if the deal is likely to be successful, Mr Longhi said: “No of course its not! Because what we have tried with France before and paying the money has not worked.

“So what will work is what has happened elsewhere, whether it be Australia or Greece.

“You need to have sufficiently strong deterrents to stop people from making the deterrents in the first place. I’m sorry, having a few more people walking down the beach is not going to help.

“Are we literally going to have hundreds of miles of beach being patrolled 24/7? It’s completely unsustainable and will not produce the results that we want.”

He added: “I understand why the Home Sec wants to try absolutely everything. I do still very much support Suella. But she will have heard from me and several other colleagues that we certainly believe this isn’t going to happen and isn’t going to work.

A Government source hailed the deal as a “good step forward” but added: “It needs to be followed up with a broader deal.”

However, the Migrant Voice charity has described the Government’s anti-migrant policies as being “ineffective and cruel”, accusing the Government of violating “basic human rights”.

Meanwhile, Policy and advocacy manager at the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants, Caitlin Boswell, added: “From the unliveable conditions at Manston to Ms Braverman’s recent hateful rhetoric, many of us have been horrified by the way this government have demonised and degraded people seeking safety here.”



Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here